We’re the one-stop hub for circus arts on the West Coast. We help children, teens, and adults develop skills in circus arts and performance, while increasing their fitness and self-confidence in a safe and fun environment.
We’re best known for CirKids, our youth training and performance program. However, over the years we have developed additional programming to meet the needs of the community, including programs for teens and adults and outreach to schools and communities.
Our present offerings
- Programs and classes for all ages
- Camps, workshops, and birthday parties
- Corporate and community events
- Team building and other personalized workshops for individuals, schools and companies
- Advanced training for adults, teens, and professional circus artists
CircusWest Performing Arts Society is a not-for-profit registered charity founded in 1984. Our team brings years of circus arts training and performance experience. We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and supported by more than 400 community members.
Our strategic future
CircusWest’s VISION 2027 lays out the strategic plan for the next 5 years. VISION 2027 was created by a passionate and dedicated committee of CircusWest Board of Directors (past and present, CircusWest staff, our Strategic Planning Committee and key input from members and key stakeholders throughout the year long process. As we say, DREAM BIG and PUSH LIMITS!
Once upon a time, a long time ago (1984, to be exact) and not so far away (south Vancouver), a small, non-profit circus school began in a gym. Inspired by circus performances at the Vancouver Children’s Festival, this school was called the Vancouver Children’s Circus Society and it thrived. It filled a niche in the Vancouver circus community, and it grew. And grew. And grew. Eventually, it outgrew its little gym and, in 2003, moved to the PNE Garden Auditorium at Hastings Park in East Vancouver. And in 2008 it changed its name, becoming the CircusWest Performing Arts Society, to reflect a much wider and more comprehensive organizational mandate. And we continue to grow, frequently offering new classes; expanding our community presence with workshops, outreach opportunities, and performances; constantly updating what we teach and how we teach it to better address our students’ needs.
Our story isn’t over yet. Stay tuned for the further adventures of CircusWest or, better yet, come be a part of them!
CircusWest gratefully acknowledges and celebrates the support we receive from a whole range of people. So many people, they could fill a Big Top tent. And the list keeps growing! Currently, our partners include:
- National Circus School
- American Youth Circus Organization
- American Circus Educators
- En Piste
- Government of British Columbia Gaming Branch
- Government of British Columbia Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
- BC Touring Council
- Gymnastics BC
- BC KidSport
- City of Vancouver
- City of Richmond
- City of Burnaby
- Pacific National Exhibition
- Alliance for Arts and Culture
- BC Touring Council
- Richmond Children’s Arts Festival
- Whistler Arts Council
- Vancouver Opera
- Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
- The McBride Family Endowment
- Constellation Music Festival
- Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Festival
- Vancouver Foundation
- Patrick Roberge Productions (PRP)