We’re best known for CirKids, our youth training and performance program. However, over the years we have developed additional programming to meet the needs of the community, including programs for teens and adults and outreach to schools and communities.
What we offer
- Programs and classes for all ages
- Camps, workshops, and birthday parties
- Corporate and community events
- Team building and other personalized workshops for individuals, schools and companies
- Advanced training for adults, teens, and professional circus artists
CircusWest Performing Arts Society is a not-for-profit registered charity founded in 1984. Our team brings years of circus arts training and performance experience. We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and supported by more than 400 community members.
Once upon a time, a long time ago (1984, to be exact) and not so far away (south Vancouver), a small, non-profit circus school began in a gym. Inspired by circus performances at the Vancouver Children’s Festival, this school was called the Vancouver Children’s Circus Society and it thrived. It filled a niche in the Vancouver circus community, and it grew. And grew. And grew. Eventually, it outgrew its little gym and, in 2003, moved to the PNE Garden Auditorium at Hastings Park in East Vancouver. And in 2008 it changed its name, becoming the CircusWest Performing Arts Society, to reflect a much wider and more comprehensive organizational mandate. And we continue to grow, frequently offering new classes; expanding our community presence with workshops, outreach opportunities, and performances; constantly updating what we teach and how we teach it to better address our students’ needs.
Our story isn’t over yet. Stay tuned for the further adventures of CircusWest or, better yet, come be a part of them!
CircusWest gratefully acknowledges and celebrates the support we receive from a whole range of people. So many people, they could fill a Big Top tent. And the list keeps growing! Currently, our partners include:
- Government of British Columbia Gaming Branch
- Government of British Columbia Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
- BC Passport
- BC Touring Council
- Gymnastics BC
- BC KidSport
- Alliance for Arts and Culture
- BC Touring Council
- Twenty Something Theatre Collective